Sorry for the Absence! Also, a Skirt Pattern!

It’s been a while since I’ve last posted here! Life has just been busy, and I haven’t actually sewn anything for a while. I meant to participate in the HSF this year, but so far that hasn’t happened. I am planning on doing the challenges on the 15th of each month, but I missed #3 Pink, because I was sick for most of the week. I regularly go through periods of activity/inactivity with my creativity, and I think I’m just now going back into one where I just want to sewsewsewsew! Several important things have happened in my life, and I’m feeling the need to keep on sewing!

I was hoping that I could post pictures of my Edwardian blouse and the skirt I made to wear with it, but none of the pictures turned out well enough to make the cut.
On the subject of wearable antique clothing, I am more on the side of preserving fashion, but I don’t have a problem with wearing an antique garment once or twice if it is in very good condition and there is no risk of compromising or ruining it. I only wore my antique Edwardian blouse for pictures, and I stopped by an antique shop while still wearing it, since I was in the area.
The lady who was working there was rather rude to me about it, giving me dirty looks and making snide comments about it. She almost acted as if I was wearing a silk ballgown and leaping about in mud puddles while wearing it!
I completely understand that everyone has different opinions about wearing antique clothing, but whatever one’s opinion is, it doesn’t make one entitled to rudeness towards others.

And even though I said that none of the pictures taken were deemed worthy of this blog by me, I’ll put up this one, so you can see the skirt. My bag was blocking most of the blouse. 😦 Image

I know I look like a 15 year old girl. I am NOT a 15 year old girl. 🙂

I made the skirt out of some cream and blue plaid cotton that I got off of Fabric.com. It’s fairly stiff, and it didn’t wrinkle as badly as I thought it would.
I used a pattern from the Commercial Pattern Archives, and it took a bit of finagling to get it all worked out, since it had no measurements. I eventually just enlarged it until the waistband piece was the correct measurement.
Here, I cleaned it up and put a helpful 1/4 inch grid on it. The waistband measurement is 25 inches, so I guess it’s a size small, so if you want the waist smaller/larger you’ll have to remember to tweak it! The “F” and the little dots are either for indicating where the front is supposed to be, or that it is where you should cut on the fold. I don’t really have any instructions for using this, since there was just a pattern image for me to use. And I just figured it out as I went along. I ended up making 8 pleats total on either side of the back closure to take up the excess fabric. I have no idea if that’s how it would have been sewn up back then, but it worked for me! I also used several loops and mother-of-pearl buttons as the closure method.
Image
I really wish I could explain it better, but hopefully anyone who wants to use it can figure out what I wasn’t able to explain about it.
As an end note to this post, I want to mention that I may be traveling to NYC this spring, and I’ll definitely make a stop at the garment district, which is exciting to me! I hope to pick up some fabrics that are harder to find, such as cotton netting and different types of silks. 🙂