Blue & White Dress

I have pretty much decided to give up on the blue and white dress that was inspired by the pink and white dress. :p

I’m quite a beginner at sewing and making it LOOK NICE, so it wasn’t going well. I did learn quite a few things along the way, but… I just don’t think it’s worth continuing. Not now, at least. Perhaps in the future I will pick it up again and fix all the little issues with it. (Although, I hope that when I look at it years from now, I’ll be disgusted, because that will mean that I will be MUCH more talented at sewing then!!!)

The fabrics were actually bought to be used as mock-ups, so I don’t feel bad about the fabric sort of going to waste. And the fabrics were a bit costume-y, anyway, so I would have felt a little off wearing it. (Also, tulle is still extremely uncomfortable. And impossible to work with.) I think the design was pretty, but I should try pulling it off with better/nicer fabric, I suppose.

I do know now that I need to seriously work on closures. I have such a bad time of trying to make them look decent. And, of course, fitting… The bodice on the dress is ugly as heck. I need to learn more about fitting, that’s for sure. D: I also need to work on making my work look a bit tidier and more… professional? I tend to sew with the same needle, same tension, etc., for EVERYTHING, which I know isn’t correct, but it was easy…
I feel a tiny bit discouraged, but since some of the parts of the dress went very well, I do feel encouraged, too.
I think the main thing that prompted me to give up the project was that the fabrics were uncomfortable. And low-quality. Or maybe it was the bodice. Just thinking about that hideous thing makes me angry!

Now I just need to learn about what I need to change, and practice more. 🙂

Advertisements

1917 Dress

So I’ve been working on this.

It hasn’t been too much work, and I’ve used some fabric remnants. I don’t have pictures yet.

Unfortunately, I didn’t double-check the measurements, so the skirt is way too short. And way too narrow. I don’t even know how that happened. :p But now I have to figure out how I’m going to make the skirt wider. I hate putting in gores!
Now I’m thinking that maybe I just didn’t enlarge the pattern enough, even though I DID measure in more than one place. Ah, well, it’s been a learning experience.

I didn’t take any pictures of making it, so I’ll just have to take pictures when I’m done. It’s not anything too great, but I’m just happy to have completed something. 🙂
EDIT: Wow, I forgot about this. Let’s just say that this dress didn’t end up happening.  It started smelling really weird and I didn’t want to deal with it. I think there was something wrong with the fabric that I didn’t notice immediately. 😮